The fifth season for the Poetry by the Sea Book Awards, given to the best poetry book published the previous year, will open in February 2023. The category is Best Book of 2022, and the winner will be awarded a prize of $500.
1. Authors or publishers may nominate books. Book must have been published in 2022. Note: Books may contain individual translated poems but books in translation are not eligible.
2. Books may be submitted by pdf or as hard copies, using the Submittable link below.
3. If submitting as pdf, please attach a pdf of the book and one of the cover to the Submittable form.
4. If submitting a hard copy, please check the box on the form and mail one copy to Anna Evans, PO Box 115, Hainesport, NJ 08036.
5. The entry fee of $50 is payable through Submittable [You do not need a Paypal account to enter]. Entries that are not accompanied by the appropriate payment will NOT be considered.
6. Deadline: April 21st 2023.
2023 Final Judge – Allison Joseph
Allison Joseph lives in Carbondale, Illinois, where she is on the faculty at Southern Illinois University. Her most recent collections of poems are Lexicon (Red Hen Press, 2021, PBTS Best Book Award winner), Any Proper Weave (Kelsay Books, 2022), Speak and Spell (Glass Lyre Press, 2022), and Confessions of a Barefaced Woman (Red Hen Press, 2018). Confessions of a Barefaced Woman won the 2019 Feathered Quill Book Award and was a finalist for the 2019 NAACP Image Award. She was named Illinois Author of the Year for 2022 by the Illinois Association of Teachers of English. Her poems have appeared in the New York Times and in the Best American Poetry Series. She is the widow of beloved poet and editor Jon Tribble.